Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Mom and Dad were right!

I caught a glimpse of the cover of the this month's O Magazine (OPRAH) and though I haven't read it, the caption peeked my interest. WHO WERE YOU MEANT TO BE? To a certain extent, that sums up the story of my, at least the main topic on my mind for the last several months. I think I am finally figuring that out, which is the reason for my blogging. It helps me to narrow the path that leads to "finding myself." One thing I do know for sure is that I definitely have a particular sense of style that has taken me years to find and perfect. Like an undiscovered flower garden in the middle of a concrete jungle, it does exist! Over the next few months I will reveal the rules I have learned through much trial and error, tribulation, and even tears. The number one rule is to do the best with what you have and quit worrying about the other girls. Embrace the best of you! I believe one of the best features a woman can show is confidence in herself. I used to read that in magazines and think to myself "yeah yeah, whatever." It is true! Now that I know what looks good on me, I can't wait to put outfits together and go shopping in my own closet to create new looks. That has become a passion of mine. I have literally studied it and it has become a career possibility for me. My title would be a personal stylist for the "regular girl". I will be getting specific so hopefully others can benefit. The most important aspect of perfecting your sense of style is to begin seeing yourself as a blank canvas and start with STRICT skincare. Take care of it because that is where it begins! You can't get it back once it is gone, but you can fix some of your mistakes and quit making it worse! Sorry ladies, but you can't "lay out" anymore. It is a sad but true fact that you will look older than your years if you "lay out". Plain and simple! I know it is hard to hear because i grew up 20 minutes from the beach and spent the better part of my teen years laying in the sun. (if only I had listened to my mom and dad) I was able to come to my senses pretty early in life, at about 24. I made an honest effort to wear sunscreen while "laying out" and now, at 47, not "laying out" EVER! My tan comes from my everyday activities. (\I still live 20 minutes from the beach) It is the one aspect of aging that YOU can control. I have seen others my age and thought "you have got to be kidding me". If my husband Jeff is with me I will, like clockwork, say "do I look younger?" i\It is like an obsession sometimes but happily most of the time the answer is "yes you do look younger". Iattribute that to my "better late than never" decision to start concentrating on good skin care. Good genes didn't hurt either so thanks Mom, Granny Potter, and Grandma Holland.

No comments:

Post a Comment